The person responsible for making sure that:
- relevant fire safety duties are carried out
- any action is taken to stop fires happening
- injury or death is prevented if a fire does actually happen
It is the RP who should ensure the building has a valid Fire risk assessment.
In a block of flats the responsible person is typically
- The freeholder/landlord
- Residential management company
- The managing agent
- The Right to Manage Company
In a block of flats the RP is only liable for the common arears, such as corridors, passages, landings and stairwells.
The RP is defined in Paragraph 3 of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.« Back to Glossary Index