Skip to main content

Want to take over the management of your building?

Our E-Learning platform has modules for leaseholders looking to manage their own building using a RTM company.

Find out more here

I am a leaseholder of a flat. I have received a demand for a share of the buildings insurance premium. Do I have to pay?

You should refer to the terms of your lease in order to establish who is responsible for insuring the building, what the cover should include and how the cost can be recovered. Usually the lease provides for the landlord to arrange the insurance of the building (not the contents) and charge the cost as a service charge. The cost of the insurance may be challenged before or verified by the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) as with other service charges.

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities.