Quiz - how well do you understand your lease?
Understand the key things you should know about your lease. If you are a purchaser, this can help make sure your solicitor has covered all of these points and explained them clearly to you.
You should refer to the terms of your lease in order to establish who is responsible for insuring the building, what the cover should include and how the cost can be recovered. Usually the lease provides for the landlord to arrange the insurance of the building (not the contents) and charge the cost as a service charge. The cost of the insurance may be challenged before or verified by the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) as with other service charges.
More information you might find useful:
- Service Charges and other issues
- More Frequently Asked Questions on Insurance
- Application to the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber)
- I am in dispute with my landlord but I do not want to go to Court or Tribunal. Is there an alternative?
- Service charge dispute resolution flowchart
Still not found the answer?
Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers