Skip to main content

Want to take over the management of your building?

Our E-Learning platform has modules for leaseholders looking to manage their own building using a RTM company.

Find out more here

What is a fire risk assessment?

A fire risk assessment (FRA) is a review of a building to assess its fire risks. Controlling fire risks is an important part of managing a building. In order to be able to protect against the risks of fire, it is important to identify these risks with a fire risk assessment. In England and Wales, all blocks of flats and large houses with multiple occupants are required to have a FRA.

The assessment will usually offer recommendations about how to make the building safer and protect the people in or near it from fire. An FRA is effectively, a guide book for fire safety measures in your building.

The assessment looks at:

The law says the assessment must be ‘suitable and sufficient’ for the building.

What does a fire risk assessment cover?

A fire risk assessment usually covers the shared parts of a building that all people can use, such as common stairwells and entrance halls. The assessment also looks at a building’s ‘general fire precautions’ in the shared areas. These include measures to:

The general fire precautions must protect:

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers.

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities.