Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...


This page lists organisations that may be able to act for you or give advice on areas that are outside our remit e.g. debt advice.


  1. Association of Retirement Housing Managers (ARHM): 020 7463 0660 ARHM code of practice is one of the approved codes and landlord/managing agents in the retirement sector are required to comply with the code. Promote high standards of practice and ethics in the management of retirement housing and in the provision of services to residents
  2. Association of Residential Lettings Agents (ARLA): 0845 250 6003 A professional and regulatory body for letting agents in the UK
  3. Association of Residential Managing Agents (ARMA): 020
    7978 2607 Promotes high standards of practice for managing agents who are members. Information on rights and responsibilities as a leaseholder or a landlord/managing agent
  4. Building Societies Association 020 7520 5900Provides its members with information relating to financial services and represents its members interests to stakeholders
  5. Law Society: 020 7320 5650Provides a database of practicing solicitors in England and Wales. This is searchable by location and subject
  6. National Association of Estate AgentsThe UK’s leading professional body for estate agency. Website has a searchable directory of members
  7. National Landlords Association (NLA): 020 7840 8900Supports its members and associates, primarily landlords
  8. Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS): 024 7686 8555Provides a directory of qualified surveyors and educational information
  9. UK Finance (formerly the Council of Mortgage Lenders) 020 7706 3333The main trade body representing UK mortgage lenders. Its members are banks, building societies, and other lenders


  1. Age UK: 0800 169 6565Charity that provides advice, information and services to older people in the UK
  2. Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH): 024 7685 1700Provides advice and training to housing providers
  3. Citizens Advice Bureau: for England call 08444 111 444. For Wales call 08444 77 2020.Free, independent and impartial advice on various legal matters
  4. Elderly Accommodation Council A charity providing free advice on elderly care and housing matters
  5. Federation of Private Residents’ Associations (FPRA): 0871 200 3324A not-for-profit advice, support and lobbying organisation for residential leaseholders, tenants and residents’ associations, and residential and management companies.
  6. Money Advice ServiceFree and impartial money and debt advice, set up by the government
  7. Shelter England: 0808 800 4444; Shelter Cymru (Wales) 0345 075 5005Housing charity that provides advice and legal representation in relation to secure, assured and assured shorthold tenancy matters
  8. Step Change (A Debt Charity): 0800 138 1111Provides free advice on problem debt and low cost debt management plans


  1. Community Housing Cymru (CHC) 029 2067 4800Membership body for housing associations in Wales
  2. National Leasehold Group (NLG) 0870 224 2773An independent networking group for senior leasehold managers and practitioners in housing associations and local authorities.
  3. Association of Leasehold Enfranchisement Practitioners (ALEP) 0845 225 2277Membership association for leasehold professionals, regulating its members
  4. Associated Retirement Community Operators (ARCO) 020 36971204The main body representing retirement community sector the UK
  5. Home Owners Alliance 033 0088 2050 (members only helpline)Members receive advice on property law, conveyancing and mortgage services
  6. Residential Landlords Association (RLA) 03330 142998Members receive help and advice on landlord and tenant related issues


  1. Advocate (formerly the Bar Pro Bobo Unit) 020 7092 3960Agency referral only. A charity which matches barristers with members of the public who need help. Means tested.
  2. BPP University pro bono unit (BPP): 0333 122 4347Law students with guidance from qualified lawyers take part in pro bono work; advice and representation
  3. Personal Support UnitCharity with over 700 volunteers providing free practical and emotional support during and after court to litigants in person. Drop-in at various courts (see website) to book an appointment to be seen in person providing emotional and practical support


  1. Civil Mediation [email protected]A search facility and directory providing details of mediation providers registered by the Civil Mediation Council
  2. First-Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) 0207 446 7700 [email protected]Handles applications, appeals and references relating to disputes over property and land
  3. Housing Ombudsman Service: 0300 111 3000 (lines are open Monday to Friday from 9:15 to 17:15)Deals with complaints in relation to all housing associations and local housing authorities
  4. Legal Ombudsman 0300 555 0333Will look into complaints as long as the service provider is regulate (includes regulating lawyers other than solicitors)
  5. National Mediation Providers Association c/o Lamb Chambers Lamb Building, Temple London EC4Y 7ASNational mediation provider
  6. The Property OmbudsmanProviding consumers and property agents with an alternative dispute resolution service
  7. Property Redress Scheme 0333 321 9418 redress (ombudsman) scheme for Property Agents and Professionals
  8. Residential Property Tribunals – Wales 03000 252 777 [email protected]The collective term for tribunals dealing with housing disputes
  9. Solicitors Regulation Authority 0370 606 2555Supervise firms and individuals who are regulated by SRA. Can take enforcement action against those caught breaching principles


  1. The Conveyancing Association 01633 261 757A member regulator whose function is to improve the conveyancing process and implement best practice throughout the industry
  2. Estate Agency Team – National Trading Standards (various national trading standards office) – use Government portal to find local office.Investigates, provides advice and guidance and builds expertise in the application and interpretation of estate agency legislation
  3. NAEA Propertymark 01926 496 800Regulates the estate agency profession and complaints handler


  1. Companies House 0303 1234 50Maintains a register of private and public companies in the UK. Provides guidance information on setting up and running companies including Right to Manage (RTM) companies
  2. Land RegistryGovernment organisation which maintains a register of properties in England and Wales.


  1. Welsh Government 02920 825 111Information, news, legalisation on housing as it applies to Wales
  2. Ministry of Housing, Communities &Local Government (MHCLG) (formerly the Department for Communities and Local Government) [email protected]Government department dealing with home ownership and occupation in the UK. Information, news, legalisation
  3. All Party Parliamentary Group on Leasehold and Commonhold Reform 07838 256544Parliamentary group explores how leasehold laws and systems can be improved and the implementation of Commonhold tenure
  4. Local Government Association 0207 664 3000 [email protected]A membership organisation consisting of local authorities – acting as a collective voice for local authorities with central government.
  5. Welsh Local Government Association 02920 468 600A membership organisation consisting of local authorities – acting as a collective voice for local authorities with Welsh and UK government.
  6. Local Government & Social Care Ombudsman 03000 610 614An impartial regulatory body that investigates complaints against councils. A free service
Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.

Would you like to stay up to date with news for leaseholders?

Sign up for our email newsletter.