Skip to main content

Want to take over the management of your building?

Our E-Learning platform has modules for leaseholders looking to manage their own building using a RTM company.

Find out more here

Who is responsible for carrying out a fire risk assessment?

Responsibility for carrying out a fire risk assessment in your building could be with the owner (freeholder), a residents’ management company, a Right to Manage company, or a managing agent.

In law, the responsibility for fire safety in the shared parts of a building is that of the ‘responsible person’. For blocks of flats or large houses in multiple occupation, this is usually the freeholder or management company.

The freeholder or management company may decide to give some of these responsibilities to a managing agent. This can include arranging for a fire risk assessment to be done or reviewed.

The responsible person (or agent) may carry out the fire risk assessment themselves, or may employ someone else to do it. For more information see our ‘Who can carry out a fire risk assessment?

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers.

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities.