Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

Government consults on improving consumer redress in housing

February 2018

On the 18th of February, the Government published its consultation ‘Strengthening consumer redress in the housing market’.

The calls for evidence on the home-buying process and on improving consumer experiences of lettings and managing agents both touched on redress issues. This consultation looks at the issue of redress in the housing market in more depth.

There is considerable range in redress provision for housing issues, briefly:

The Government is concerned that the current landscape is confusing for consumers both in terms of the number of schemes, differences in practices, and gaps where consumers have no recourse to redress. As a consequence the consultation explores and questions:

Housing issues that are dealt with by redress schemes in other sectors, such as the Financial Ombudsman Service and Legal Ombudsman, are not in scope of this consultation

Responses should be submitted no later than midnight on 16 April 2018. You are encouraged to respond by completing an online survey. Alternatively you can email your response to the questions in the consultation to – [email protected]

Written responses should be sent to: Social Housing Division Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government Third Floor – Fry Building 2 Marsham Street London SW1P 4DF

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.