Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

Which law covers fire safety?

In England and Wales, the law that covers fire safety is the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. This current law came into force on 1 October 2006 and replaced most of the fire safety law that went before it.

The law says that the person responsible for fire safety in a building must take ‘reasonable’ steps to:

The Order gives fire and rescue authorities (FRAs) the power to:

Part 1 of the Housing Act 2004 (“the 2004 Act”) also gives local councils the power to asses and enforce fire safety matters. The 2004 act also introduced the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS). The HHSRS is the main tool for assessing fire safety risk and regulating standards in all types of residential accommodation.

The 2004 Act covers the whole building whereas the 2005 Order covers the common parts only. The 2004 Act gives the local council the power to serve a range of notices including an improvement notice which requires the building owner to fix issues that risk residents’ health and safety.

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers.

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities.