Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

I’m selling my property. Is my landlord obliged to provide a management pack and respond to pre-sale enquiries on the LPE form?

When selling a property the seller should obtain a management pack from the managing agent or the landlord.  Usually the buyer’s solicitor will send questions for the landlord to answer. The pack should show whether the accounts are up to date and any arrears that will be cleared before completion.

Another way that this information can be asked is through the LPE form. The Law Society, has put together some standard enquiries to assist the landlord’s and their managing agents in answering these enquiries called the LPE1 form.  These forms are not mandatory but if the landlord and the managing agent are not specifically replying to an LPE1 form, the management pack should deal with all the enquiries provided in the LPE1 form.

Although the landlord is under no legal obligation to answer such questions most will be willing to do so. If your landlord refuses to answer the buyer’s questions you cannot compel them to do so but you could try to negotiate with them.

If your landlord is a Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) member or part of an ombudsman scheme you may be able to submit a complaint to the relevant body.

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.