Skip to main content

Want to take over the management of your building?

Our E-Learning platform has modules for leaseholders looking to manage their own building using a RTM company.

Find out more here

I have served a Section 42 notice and have not received a counter-notice. What can I do?

Your original claim notice under should have included a date by which the landlord had to reply to your notice. This date should be at least 2 months from the date of service of your notice on the landlord.

If your landlord does not respond within this time or responds late then you can apply to the County Court for a lease extension as the landlord looses his rights.

If you are successful, the court will grant the extension on the terms set out in the claim notice within 6 months from the date the counter-notice was supposed to be given.

Lease extension can be a difficult process. We recommend you get professional help from a solicitor and surveyor with experience in this area.

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities.