Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

I own a leasehold house and my lease requires me to arrange insurance with an insurer nominated or appointed by the landlord. Can I choose my own insurer?

You are entitled to place insurance with your choice of insurer provided notice is given to the landlord and certain requirements relating to the cover are met.

The insurance policy must:

You must serve a prescribed Notice of Cover on your landlord no later than 14 days after having placed the insurance (or within 14 days of any request by the landlord).

The prescribed form and contents of the Notice of Cover in relation to England can be found here.

The prescribed form and contents of the Notice of Cover in relation to Wales can be found here.

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.