Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

What should the notice of intention to carry out major works contain?

If you receive a notice which is usually called a “section 20 notice” to do works, it should contain certain information.  The notice should  describe in general terms the works proposed, or specify a (reasonable) place and hours at which a description may be inspected by the leaseholder.

The notice should also explain the reasons for the proposed works and invite you as  a leaseholder to give your opinions (observations) in writing within 30 days. Where applicable it should also inform leaseholders of their right to give the name (nominate) of a contractor  to be contacted by the landlord to give a quote for the works.  The landlord must have regard to any observation received by the due date and seek estimates from nominated contractors where applicable.

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.