Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

The leaseholders in my building are buying the freehold. What happens if I don’t want to take part?

As a leaseholder, if  you do not wish to do so, you do not have to participate in buying the freehold.

If you do not take part you will remain a leaseholder and the terms of your lease will stay the same.

The only major change will be that your neighbours that participate in the process, will take over the management and make decisions in relation to maintenance.

If you want to join in the purchase or buy a share of the freehold at a later date this will be at the discretion of the leaseholders who now own the freehold. You will no longer have the right to insist that the existing owners sell you a share. All you can do is negotiate to purchase a share. Therefore is important to consider at the outset whether you wish to participate in the purchase.

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.