Quiz - how well do you understand your lease?
Understand the key things you should know about your lease. If you are a purchaser, this can help make sure your solicitor has covered all of these points and explained them clearly to you.
The short answer is yes.
The law says that the ‘responsible person’ must get a ‘suitable and sufficient’ fire risk assessment that covers the shared parts of their building.
As the responsible person, you must also:
- get the fire risk assessment reviewed regularly
- act on any recommendations in the assessment, such as keeping escape routes clear or providing fire extinguishers
If you don’t do this, you could face an unlimited fine and up to two years in prison.
More information you might find useful:
- Who is responsible for carrying out a fire risk assessment?
- Fire risk assessments: how often must they be done?
- Which law covers fire safety?
- Who enforces fire safety law?
- More Frequently Asked Questions on Fire safety
Still not found the answer?
Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers.