Skip to main content

Want to take over the management of your building?

Our E-Learning platform has modules for leaseholders looking to manage their own building using a RTM company.

Find out more here

My landlord is the local council or a housing association. I am worried that I will not be able to afford the service charge bills for works of repair, maintenance or improvement that they intend to carry out. Can I ask for a reduction?

The Social Landlords Discretionary Reduction of Service Charges (England) Directions 2014, which cover local authorities and housing associations, came into force in England on 12 August 2014.

The Directions allow these landlords to waive or reduce service charges for the cost of repair, maintenance or improvement by an amount the landlord considers to be reasonable.

The landlord should take into account certain criteria in deciding whether to waive or reduce the service charge.

The Directions do not apply to properties in Wales.

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities.