I have received a service charge demand and I think it is too high. What should I do?
Service charges and other issues
A guide to service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture.
A service charge is not payable unless it is reasonable but it is risky to withhold payment because this is likely to be a breach of your lease. It may be better to contact your landlord and express your concerns about the charge. You can try and resolve the situation amicably, perhaps through mediation. If this fails and you have evidence to challenge the charges, the matter can be determined by the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber).
You may require the services of a solicitor or a surveyor.
More information you might find useful:
- Service Charges and other issues
- Service charge dispute resolution flowchart
- Application to the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber)
- Find a Civil Mediation provider
- More Frequently Asked Questions on Service Charges
Still not found the answer?
Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers