Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

I am in dispute with my landlord but I do not want to go to Court or Tribunal. Is there an alternative?

Mediation is an alternative to taking action in Court or Tribunal. Mediation provides an opportunity for the parties to discuss the problem and work out a solution in an informal setting. The parties meet with a mediator who helps them to clarify the issues, to communicate with each other and to try to reach an amicable agreement. Mediation can provide a quick, cheap, informal and confidential means of settling a dispute.

Early Neutral Evaluation is an assessment of the issues in dispute, designed to serve as a basis for further negotiations and to avoid the time, expense and anxiety caused by unnecessary litigation. An independent expert expresses an opinion on the merits of the issues raised by the parties. The opinion is not binding but gives you an unbiased evaluation of the relative strengths of the parties’ cases, and guidance as to the possible outcome if the matter proceeds to the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) in England or the Leasehold Valuation Tribunal in Wales.

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers.

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.