Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

How do I start the Collective Enfranchisement process?

Consult with other leaseholders to establish if there is a general wish to acquire the freehold. Determine if the building qualifies under the legislation and whether enough leaseholders are willing to participate formally in acquiring the freehold. If there are only 2 flats in the building both will need to participate. You may wish to draw up a participation agreement between the participating leaseholders to ensure that the process runs smoothly.

Have the freehold of the relevant premises valued to ensure that a realistic price is entered in the Section 13 Notice that will need to be served to start the formal process. There is no legal requirement to employ a surveyor, however it is advisable to do so because the premium proposed in the Section 13 Notice must be realistic.

Buying the freehold can be a difficult process. We recommend you get professional help from a solicitor and surveyor with experience in this area.

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.