Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

How do I get a copy of my building’s fire risk assessment?

It is best practice for the management company to provide an occupant of a building  access to their premises’ fire risk assessment, on request.

Ask the person who is responsible for carrying out the fire risk assessment in your building.

This could be the:

What if the freeholder, management company or managing agent doesn’t give me a copy?

There is nothing in law that says the person responsible for carrying out the fire risk assessment must give you a copy.

Some industry bodies, such as the Association of Retirement Housing Managers, say building managers should provide a copy of a fire risk assessment on request.

If your freeholder uses a managing agent, there is an official complaints procedure you can follow.

First, you should complain to the individual agent directly. If that does not work, you should make a formal complaint through the internal complaints procedure at the agent’s company.

If you are still unhappy, you can then complain to a redress scheme. All managing agents in England must be a member of one of two redress schemes:

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers.

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.