Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

Poor freeholder? – buy it yourself

Sara D owns a flat in Lambeth. The leaseholders in her building are unhappy with the freeholder, and are thinking about buying the freehold. Ms D contacted LEASE by phone and spoke to a LEASE adviser. The adviser informed Ms D that she could get a very rough idea of the cost of the freehold by using the free lease extension calculator on the LEASE website. He also outlined the process of buying the freehold (collective enfranchisement). Finally, the adviser explained that if the freeholder is obliged under the lease to do repairs and they do not do so, then the leaseholders can go to the local county court for an order for specific performance. Specific performance is an order of a court which requires someone to perform a specific act, usually what is stated in a contract.

Ms D said the adviser was “extremely helpful and knowledgeable and provided me with step by step advice and signposted me to online resources and other professional legal advice that I would need. An excellent service and all free!”

More information you might find useful:

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.