Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

In the landlord’s response to the LPE1 form, they confirmed that they did not anticipate carrying out any large major works in the future. I’ve not long purchased the property and have now received a large major works bill. Is this legal?

We are sorry to hear that you have received a surprise bill soon after purchasing. As a recent buyer, this can be unexpected and stressful.

A large major works bill could potentially arise at any time depending on the repair and maintenance needs of the building.

The purpose of the form is that the seller provides a buyer with information that they can rely on to make the decision to commit to buying the property. If the information in the LPE1 was missing or incorrect, it could be that there was a misrepresentation on the part of the landlord or their managing agent.

If you suspect incorrect information was given in the LPE1, we suggest you speak with your conveyancer. They may be able to investigate the matter for you.

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.