Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

Do I have to pay ground rent that accrued prior to me purchasing the property?

You would be liable for arrears of ground rent before you purchased your property if the landlord has demanded this and has not been paid or it remains unpaid as it has not been demanded yet.

This is because even though your were not the owner at the time and not personally liable, the landlord can take action for possession of the flat (forfeiture) for non payment of rent.

Your conveyancer should pro actively request this information from the seller’s solicitor at the time of purchase of the property. The  seller’s solicitor is not obliged to provide this information voluntarily unless they have been asked to do so.

Therefore your conveyancer needs to ensure that ground rent payments are up to date before you complete the purchase.

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.