Skip to main content

Want to take over the management of your building?

Our E-Learning platform has modules for leaseholders looking to manage their own building using a RTM company.

Find out more here

Cladding Safety Scheme (CSS) – frequently asked questions

What is the Cladding Safety Scheme?

The CSS will provide funding for the remediation or mitigation of life safety fire risks associated with externally cladded walls on eligible buildings over 11 metres outside of London and between 11-18 metres inside of London where a responsible developer cannot be identified, traced, or held responsible.

What should I know about the CSS?

All residential buildings above 11 metres in England now have a pathway to fix unsafe cladding, either through a taxpayer-funded scheme or through a developer-funded scheme, protecting leaseholders from these costs.

Who applies to the CSS?

The Responsible Entity, or a representative of the Responsible Entity to act on their behalf, can apply for the scheme. The Responsible Entity is the organisation that has the legal obligation and right to carry out the remediation works. The Responsible Entity may be the building’s freeholder or head leaseholder, registered provider of social housing or a management company or Right To Manage (RTM) company that has primary responsibility for the repair of the property.

How can I find out what happened to the pilot, formally known as the Medium Rise Scheme (MRS)?

The Medium-Rise Scheme (MRS) delivered by Homes England (HE) was launched as a pilot in November 2022, to test and finalise the model and digital platform ahead of its full rollout in 2023.  The pilot has been extended following its launch, with nearly 650 buildings invited to join the pilot.

What happens to existing applications to the pilot?

Applications that have started in the pilot will continue to be processed in the CSS.

What is a Fire Risk Appraisal of External Walls (FRAEW)?

CSS funding decisions for applications now involve applicants providing an assessment of the risks posed by fire spread over external walls to identify what, if any work, is needed. This is called a Fire Risk Appraisal of External Walls (FRAEW) and is undertaken by competent professionals. It uses the new PAS 9980:2022 code of practice, with professionals using their expert judgement to assess risk and appropriate mitigations.

The PAS 9980 methodology has been developed with the British Standards Institute in partnership with DLUHC and the Home Office. It contains guidance tailored to the risks posed by fire spread over external walls and provides tools for a competent professional to carry out a FRAEW.

As part of the CSS application, applicants will have access to a panel of trained professionals who will be able to assist applicants with obtaining a FRAEW and detailing the outcome of the FRAEW.

What happens if my application to the Building Safety Fund (BSF) was rejected, can I apply for the CSS?

If you recently applied to the BSF and your application was ineligible based on height you should now apply to the CSS and follow the process set out within the scheme guidance.

What is the developer remediation contract?

To date, 49 developers have committed to remediate life-critical fire safety works in buildings over 11 metres that they have played a role in developing or refurbishing over the last 30 years in England. A list of developers who have signed the remediation contract is available on GOV.UK.

Developers making this commitment have also agreed to reimburse any funding received from government remediation programmes in relation to buildings they had a role in developing or refurbishing.

Do I have to pay for the remediation works on my building (over 11m)?

You can check guidance here – Remediation costs: what leaseholders do and do not have to pay.

Other information you might find helpful:

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities.