Next webinar - Tuesday 23 September, Right of First Refusal, a presentation and discussion. Book now
Next classroom training - Thursday 18 September in London, The basics of residential leasehold law. Book now.
LEASE training programme
For training on residential leasehold law.
Section 20 Consultation
Service charges for residential leaseholders
Tackling bad management
Courses can be fully tailored to your requirements.
- I am in dispute with my landlord but I do not want to go to Court or Tribunal. Is there an alternative?
- How can I find out what my service charge is being used for?
- My neighbours are very noisy and it is affecting the enjoyment of my property. What can I do?
- I own the freehold of a leasehold house. The leaseholder wants to buy the freehold. Do I have to sell it to them?
- My landlord has carried out Section 20 consultation but I am still unhappy about the service charges I'm being asked to pay. What can I do?
- What happens when my lease runs out?
- What happens if I breach the terms of my lease?
- My landlord has not demanded ground rent for several years. Can he still demand it?
What can I do if my landlord fails to provide information about the insurance cover in accordance with the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985?
Where a landlord fails without reasonable excuse to comply with either a request for insurance details or to inspect or have copies of the relevant policy or associated documents, they commit a summary offence and are liable for a fine of up to £2,500 (level 4 on the standard scale) on conviction. The local housing authority, usually through the Tenancy Relations Officer, has the power to bring proceedings, or they can be brought by the leaseholder privately. Any prosecution must be presented to a magistrate within 6 months of the commission of the offence.
Please note that local housing authorities are exempt from prosecution.
More information you might find useful:
- My landlord arranges the buildings insurance and I pay a proportion of the cost through my service charge. Can I get information about the policy?
- Service Charges and other issues: Insurance by the landlord
- More Frequently Asked Questions on Insurance
Still not found the answer?
Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers