Next webinar - Tuesday 23 September, Right of First Refusal, a presentation and discussion. Book now
Next classroom training - Thursday 18 September in London, The basics of residential leasehold law. Book now.
LEASE training programme
For training on residential leasehold law.
Section 20 Consultation
Service charges for residential leaseholders
Tackling bad management
Courses can be fully tailored to your requirements.
- I am in dispute with my landlord but I do not want to go to Court or Tribunal. Is there an alternative?
- How can I find out what my service charge is being used for?
- My neighbours are very noisy and it is affecting the enjoyment of my property. What can I do?
- I own the freehold of a leasehold house. The leaseholder wants to buy the freehold. Do I have to sell it to them?
- My landlord has carried out Section 20 consultation but I am still unhappy about the service charges I'm being asked to pay. What can I do?
- What happens when my lease runs out?
- What happens if I breach the terms of my lease?
- My landlord has not demanded ground rent for several years. Can he still demand it?
Appointment of a manager
This is a remedy available under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987. It allows leaseholders of flats, under certain circumstances, to apply to a First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) for the appointment of a new manager. This means the landlord remains the same but the manager will be different. The new manager will be accountable to the Tribunal.
The right to seek the appointment of a manager from the Tribunal is not available where the landlord is a local authority, a registered provider (formerly known as housing associations) a fully mutual housing association or a charitable housing trust.
You are likely to require the services of a solicitor and a managing agent. See the directory of leasehold practitioners.
More information you might find useful:
- More Frequently Asked Questions on the appointment of a manager
- Application to the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber): The appointment of a manager
- Application Form - Application by a Tenant for the Appointment of a Manager or for the Variation or Discharge of an Order Appointing a Manager
- More Frequently Asked Questions in the Glossary
Still not found the answer?
Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers