Skip to main content

Want to take over the management of your building?

Our E-Learning platform has modules for leaseholders looking to manage their own building using a RTM company.

Find out more here

In my building, not all the flats want to participate in the freehold purchase. Can we appoint a third party to cover the shortfall in the finances?

Yes, there is potential investment value for third parties who are willing to fund the cost of enfranchising non-participating flats. These are often called “White Knights”. The non-participant element of the premium can often be considerable, but these individuals and companies would offer “white knight” funding in exchange for shares in the freehold company. Any additional funding should be investigated before serving the claim notice and any written contracts for third party funding should be analysed carefully. We would advise that you seek legal advice before entering into any agreement.

For leaseholders who are constrained by a budget, this option can prove invaluable and enable a collective claim to proceed where it might otherwise fail for lack of funds.

Buying the freehold can be a difficult process. We recommend you get professional help from a solicitor and surveyor with experience in this area.

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities.