Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

If an application is made to the Tribunal can a landlord recover their legal costs through the service charge?

You should refer to the terms of your lease to establish whether legal costs can be recovered through the service charge from all the lessees. If legal costs are recoverable as a service charge under the lease, you can make an application to the Tribunal under Section 20C of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 requesting an order that the landlord should not be allowed to recover such costs.

In some cases a lease also allows the recovery of legal costs from anindividual leaseholder. For example, when the costs incurred result from a failure to pay the service charge. In those circumstances the charges sought are technically classed as an Administration Charge. They must be reasonable, amongst other things, in order to be payable; but if they are reasonable and payable they are recouped from an individual leaseholder. This is unlike costs recouped as a service charge which are paid on an apportioned basis by all leaseholders. It follows that the lease should be reviewed to establish if there is an obligation on a leaseholder to pay an Administration Charge.

You may require the services of a solicitor.

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.