Next webinar - Friday 24 April, Introduction to collective enfranchisement. Book now.
Upcoming classroom training - Right to Manage. Wednesday 1 April in Manchester - book now.
LEASE training programme
For training on residential leasehold law.
Section 20 Consultation
Service charges for residential leaseholders
Tackling bad management
Courses can be fully tailored to your requirements.
- I am in dispute with my landlord but I do not want to go to Court or Tribunal. Is there an alternative?
- How can I find out what my service charge is being used for?
- My neighbours are very noisy and it is affecting the enjoyment of my property. What can I do?
- My landlord has carried out Section 20 consultation but I am still unhappy about the service charges I'm being asked to pay. What can I do?
- I own the freehold of a leasehold house. The leaseholder wants to buy the freehold. Do I have to sell it to them?
- What happens when my lease runs out?
- What happens if I breach the terms of my lease?
- My landlord has not demanded ground rent for several years. Can he still demand it?
What grounds need to be satisfied before we can exercise appointment of a manager?
- The landlord has breached an obligation owed to the leaseholder under the lease which concerns the management of the building;
- The landlord has demanded, or is likely to demand, unreasonable service charges;
- The landlord has breached a relevant provision of an approved management Code of Practice such as the RICS Code (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors) Service Charge Residential Management Code.
- There are other circumstances that exist which make it just and convenient to appoint a new manager.
You are likely to require the services of a solicitor and a managing agent. See the directory of leasehold practitioners.
More information you might find useful:
- Application to the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber): The appointment of a manager
- Application Form - Application by a Tenant for the Appointment of a Manager or for the Variation or Discharge of an Order Appointing a Manager
- More Frequently Asked Questions on Appointment of a Manager
Still not found the answer?
Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers