Next webinar - Tuesday 23 September, Right of First Refusal, a presentation and discussion. Book now
Next classroom training - Thursday 18 September in London, The basics of residential leasehold law. Book now.
LEASE training programme
For training on residential leasehold law.
Section 20 Consultation
Service charges for residential leaseholders
Tackling bad management
Courses can be fully tailored to your requirements.
- I am in dispute with my landlord but I do not want to go to Court or Tribunal. Is there an alternative?
- How can I find out what my service charge is being used for?
- My neighbours are very noisy and it is affecting the enjoyment of my property. What can I do?
- I own the freehold of a leasehold house. The leaseholder wants to buy the freehold. Do I have to sell it to them?
- My landlord has carried out Section 20 consultation but I am still unhappy about the service charges I'm being asked to pay. What can I do?
- What happens when my lease runs out?
- What happens if I breach the terms of my lease?
- My landlord has not demanded ground rent for several years. Can he still demand it?
What grounds need to be satisfied before we can exercise appointment of a manager?
- The landlord has breached an obligation owed to the leaseholder under the lease which concerns the management of the building;
- The landlord has demanded, or is likely to demand, unreasonable service charges;
- The landlord has breached a relevant provision of an approved management Code of Practice such as the RICS Code (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors) Service Charge Residential Management Code.
- There are other circumstances that exist which make it just and convenient to appoint a new manager.
You are likely to require the services of a solicitor and a managing agent. See the directory of leasehold practitioners.
More information you might find useful:
- Application to the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber): The appointment of a manager
- Application Form - Application by a Tenant for the Appointment of a Manager or for the Variation or Discharge of an Order Appointing a Manager
- More Frequently Asked Questions on Appointment of a Manager
Still not found the answer?
Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers