13th May 2021
Today, 13th May 2021, the Government announced the membership of the Commonhold Council and its Technical Support Group. The establishment of the Council, follows the Government’s announcement in January this year that it intended to create a partnership of leasehold groups, industry and Government to prepare homeowners and the market for the widespread take-up of Commonhold.
Housing Secretary Rt Hon Robert Jenrick MP said:
“We want to give homeowners across the country the autonomy they deserve.
“The new Commonhold Council launched today will – together with leasehold groups and industry experts – pave the way for homeowners in England to access the benefits that come with greater control over your home.
“We are taking forward the biggest reforms to English property law for 40 years – and the widespread introduction of commonhold builds on our work to provide more security for millions of existing leaseholders across England, putting an end to rip-off charges and creating a fairer system.”
Professor Nick Hopkins, Commissioner for Property Law at the Law Commission said:
“The Commonhold Council will help to reinvigorate commonhold, complementing our recommendations for a reformed legal framework.
“I am delighted to be able to support the Council’s work, which will pave the way for commonhold to be used widely, ensuring homeowners will be able to call their homes their own.”
LEASE’s Chair, Wanda Goldwag, said:
“Today’s announcement heralds for flat owners the move from residential leasehold to Commonhold in the years ahead. We support its widespread take-up, and we are delighted to be a member of the Commonhold Technical Support Group and play our part in offering our assistance to the Council ”.
The membership of the Commonhold Council is:
- Damian Greenish, British Property Federation
- Paul Broadhead, Building Societies Association
- Bob Smytherman, Federation of Private Residents’ Associations
- Kate Faulkner, Home Buying & Selling Group
- David O’Leary, Home Builders Federation
- Andrew Bulmer, Institute of Residential Property Management
- Philip Freedman CBE, QC (Hon), Law Society
- Sebastian O’Kelly, Leasehold Knowledge Partnership
- Katie Kendrick, National Leasehold Campaign
- Professor Chris Hodges, University of Oxford
- Charles Roe, UK Finance
The membership of the Technical Support Group is:
- Tim Collins, Barratt Homes
- Professor Nick Hopkins, Law Commission
- Anthony Essien, LEASE
- Rob Stevens, Nationwide Building Society
- Mairead Carroll, RICS
- Philip Rainey QC, Tanfield Chambers
- Professor David Clarke, University of Bristol
- Professor Hazel Easthope, University of New South Wales
- Dr Sarah Payne, University of Sheffield