Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

My landlord wants to employ a new cleaner. Does he need to consult me before he does so?

A landlord must consult the leaseholders before entering into a qualifying long term agreement (QLTA) for the provision of services such as cleaning, gardening or lift maintenance. A QLTA is an agreement entered into by the landlord with a contractor for a period of more than 12 months where the amount payable by any one leaseholder exceeds £100 in any one year.

Certain contracts are not included. For instance, contracts of employment.

If consultation is not undertaken the landlord cannot recover more than £100 per year from any individual leaseholder unless the Tribunal has dispensed with the requirement to consult.

You may require the services of a solicitor, a surveyor or a managing agent.

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.