Under the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 you may be entitled to an extension of 50 years. There is no premium payable for a lease extension of a house granted under the Act, however, at the start of the new 50 year lease the ground rent may increase to a modern rent. Advice should be sought on what the new ground rent may be prior to proceeding with the extension.

Buying the freehold can be a difficult process. We recommend you get professional help from a solicitor and surveyor with experience in this area.

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.