Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

Leaseholders – your new right to seek redress

January 2015

By Kavita Bharti, Legal Adviser

If you have a complaint about the running of your building by the property manager you should firstly deal with this through the property management companies’ complaints process. If you remain dissatisfied after the local complaints process has concluded you can send your complaint to the redress scheme your property management company belongs to for consideration. You may want to either ask the property manager to tell you which scheme they belong to, or check the websites of the two schemes for their list of members. You can access the two websites through the links below.

There is no cost for you in having your complaint determined by the relevant redress scheme. The scheme will consider whether it can deal with your complaint in the first instance. If they can deal with it and it is upheld they can for example make a financial award, which would be paid to you by the property management company. If you remain dissatisfied with the outcome your statutory rights are unaffected and you can take the matter to the Property Chamber of the First-Tier Tribunal, where it is within their jurisdiction.

More information:

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.