Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

I’m having problems with the supply from the communal hot water/ heating system in my building. What can I do?

Usually your landlord will be responsible for repairing and maintaining the communal hot water/ heating system where one is provided. The lease may require the landlord to provide a working communal hot water/ heating system or it may allow them to choose whether or not to provide the service.

Download a template for a chasing letter to repair – action required by landlord

If the lease requires the landlord to provide a working communal hot water/ heating system you may be able to take legal action through the County Court against them if they fail to do so. Where relevant you can seek an injunction, order for specific performance and/or damages. You can also seek to recover your costs.

Depending on the terms of your lease you may have an option of disconnecting from the communal system with the landlord’s consent and making your own arrangements. Please note that you could still be required to contribute to the cost of repairing and maintaining the communal system.

You may require the services of a solicitor or a surveyor.

More information you might find useful:

Still not found the answer?

Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.