Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

How do I form a residents association?

The Federation of Private Residents’ Associations (FPRA) provide guidance on their website as to how to form a residents’ association.

They are a not-for-profit organisation that provide lease advice, support and lobbying for private residential leaseholders, tenants’ and residents’ associations, Residential Management Companies and Flat Management Companies. The FPRA is able to offer its members specialist legal, insurance, management and building guidance.

The secretary of a tenants’ association has a right to obtain from the landlord contact information for other leaseholders in a shared block (provided that leaseholders have consented to this) to ascertain whether they wish to join the association.

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.