Skip to main content

Most popular advice guides

Service charges and other issues

Service charges, administration charges, ground rent, recognised tenants associations and forfeiture. For a brief summary...

Leasehold Extension – Getting Started

The right to extend the lease of a flat under the Leasehold Reform Housing and...

Living in Leasehold Flats – A guide to how it works

The nature and typical rights and obligations that relate to the ownership of a leasehold...

Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents

Consultation for qualifying works to a building and qualifying long-term agreements. Purpose of this booklet...

Leasehold Houses – Buying the freehold – Qualification and procedure

Qualification requirements for a tenant to buy the freehold of their leasehold house and outline...

Right to Manage

The right for leaseholders of a building containing flats to take over the management of...

Car park surface charges

Rhoda K wrote to us with her story about how LEASE had helped her.

“I live in a Victorian building which has been converted into flats. We received a surveyor’s report and a demand from our freeholder for a very large sum of money to be spent on resurfacing the car park. We had had no notice of this. I telephoned LEASE and was very pleased to have a solicitor speak to me about the problem in detail and without rushing me.
“She said that a freeholder could demand money for necessary repair and maintenance, but not for an improvement. I called a meeting of the other leaseholders, and we came up with several points to show that this was an improvement. I wrote a long and detailed letter, which everyone signed, and a few days later we received a letter stating that “the works have been aborted.” I am very grateful to your service for saving me so much money.”

More information you might find useful:

Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government logo

LEASE is governed by a board, appointed as individuals by the Secretary of State for the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.