Next webinar - Tuesday 13 January, Case law update. Book now.
LEASE training programme
For training on residential leasehold law.
Section 20 Consultation
Service charges for residential leaseholders
Tackling bad management
Courses can be fully tailored to your requirements.
- I am in dispute with my landlord but I do not want to go to Court or Tribunal. Is there an alternative?
- How can I find out what my service charge is being used for?
- My neighbours are very noisy and it is affecting the enjoyment of my property. What can I do?
- My landlord has carried out Section 20 consultation but I am still unhappy about the service charges I'm being asked to pay. What can I do?
- I own the freehold of a leasehold house. The leaseholder wants to buy the freehold. Do I have to sell it to them?
- What happens when my lease runs out?
- What happens if I breach the terms of my lease?
- My landlord has not demanded ground rent for several years. Can he still demand it?
Reinvigorating Right to Buy in England
The government has announced the launch of a reinvigorated Right to Buy policy.
Introduced in 1980 the original Right to Buy scheme gave tenants of both local authorities and non-charitable housing associations the chance to buy their home at a discount if they have been public sector tenants for at least five years. The discount increases with the length of the tenancy and for flats starts at 50% rising to a maximum of 70%. There is also a maximum cap on the discount which varies between £16,000 and £38,000 depending on the geographical location of the property. To encourage more take-up of the Right to Buy the government intends to increase the maximum cap across England to £75,000. The statutory instrument came in on 2 April, bringing the increase into effect.
The government announced its intention to increase the caps in Laying the Foundations: A Housing Strategy for England which set out the aim to ensure receipts on additional homes sold under the scheme are used to fund replacement, on a one-for-one basis, with new affordable homes for rent.
(News story added: 12 March 2012)