Next webinar - Tuesday 14 July, The First-tier Tribunal - 2 years on.
Upcoming classroom training - Section 20 consultation. Tuesday 21 July in London.
LEASE training programme
For training on residential leasehold law.
Section 20 Consultation
Service charges for residential leaseholders
Tackling bad management
Courses can be fully tailored to your requirements.
- I am in dispute with my landlord but I do not want to go to Court or Tribunal. Is there an alternative?
- How can I find out what my service charge is being used for?
- My neighbours are very noisy and it is affecting the enjoyment of my property. What can I do?
- My landlord has carried out Section 20 consultation but I am still unhappy about the service charges I'm being asked to pay. What can I do?
- I own the freehold of a leasehold house. The leaseholder wants to buy the freehold. Do I have to sell it to them?
- What happens when my lease runs out?
- What happens if I breach the terms of my lease?
- My landlord has not demanded ground rent for several years. Can he still demand it?
This section of the LEASE website allows website users to add a Frequently Asked Question to our list. If your question is one that we agree should become part of our list then we will answer it on the site. Please note that the question should be a general one, that other clients will also find helpful. Also note that you won't get a reply, but that your question and our answer will appear on the website.
If you have a question like this then please submit a question.
Alternatively, if you have a specific enquiry and you would like an answer sent directly to you then you should use the standard enquiry form.
- I want to convert the loft above my leasehold flat but the loft space isn't included in my lease and belongs to the freeholder. What do I do?
- Does owning a share of the freehold mean that I no longer have to renew my lease? If not, would renewal be free?
- Is the owner of the flat above mine allowed to remove their carpet and have floorboards, even though it's very noisy? The lease is silent in this regard.
- What if I cannot afford a service charge for work that the landlord wants to undertake?
- How long does the process take to extend the lease on a flat?
- I own a flat and wish to extend the lease. Can I do this independently of all the other flat owners or do all leases have to be done at once?
- I have negotiated with my landlord to extend my lease to 999 years. Are there any problems associated with extending just one lease in this way. (There are 3 flats in the building and the landlord resides in one.)?
- i own a flat (leasehold) in a purpose built block of flats. the freeholder arranges the building insurance and sends me the bill. am i allowed to arrange my own insurance?
- I am selling my property and the Management Company and Freehold owner want to charge me a fee for providing information. Is there a limit on the fee they can charge?
- I am about to purchase a leasehold flat. What would happen if the company which owned the freehold went into administration? Would I lose my home?
- The freehold has been sold to one of the leaseholders in the building without notifying the others or giving the option to purchase. Is this permissable?
- If I own the lease of a flat above a commercial premises such as a shop or restaurant am I entitled to extend my lease or purchase a share of the freehold?
- i am buying a flat that has a 976 year lease and full ownership of the freehold. what does this mean?
- Must the freeholder be in breach of the terms of the lease in order for a collective enfranchisement claim to be valid or is CE a right for those lease arrangements that qualify for the process?
- I live in a leasehold flat and have just had the guttering replaced however since the guttering has been done I have damp in my bedroom. what are my rights with regarding to paying for the work
- Can the lease of a flat be extended only once, or can it be extended any number of times into the future?
- I want to buy the freehold of my building with other leaseholders but our landlord cannot be found. How do we do this in the landlord's absence?
- Under the terms of my lease the landlord is responsible for arranging buildings insurance, but he is failing to do so. What can we about this as leaseholders?
- I am in the process of renewing my leasehold and I have agreed a price and the terms of the lease. Do I still need to engage solicitors?
- The management company has withdrawn standing order payment for annual service charge. They are demanding payment in full.What can I do.
- If a shared freeholder within a leasehold property stops paying the previously agreed service charge for a reason that no other owner agrees with and continues to refuse can the other owners apply an interest charge to the arrears after notification to the non payer and show the arrears and interest charge as a charge against the non payer in the company accounts?