Next webinar - Tuesday 14 July, The First-tier Tribunal - 2 years on.
Upcoming classroom training - Section 20 consultation. Tuesday 21 July in London.
LEASE training programme
For training on residential leasehold law.
Section 20 Consultation
Service charges for residential leaseholders
Tackling bad management
Courses can be fully tailored to your requirements.
- I am in dispute with my landlord but I do not want to go to Court or Tribunal. Is there an alternative?
- How can I find out what my service charge is being used for?
- My neighbours are very noisy and it is affecting the enjoyment of my property. What can I do?
- My landlord has carried out Section 20 consultation but I am still unhappy about the service charges I'm being asked to pay. What can I do?
- I own the freehold of a leasehold house. The leaseholder wants to buy the freehold. Do I have to sell it to them?
- What happens when my lease runs out?
- What happens if I breach the terms of my lease?
- My landlord has not demanded ground rent for several years. Can he still demand it?
What can a landlord or manager do if it is not possible to follow Section 20? (e.g. where emergency works are required)
An application can be made to the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) for an order to dispense with the Section 20 consultation process. The Tribunal can dispense with the consultation requirements in a particular case if satisfied that it is reasonable to do so.
More information you might find useful:
- Daejan v Benson: S20 dispensation granted to freeholders
- Section 20 Consultation for Private Landlords, Resident Management Companies and their Agents
- Section 20 Consultation for Council and other public sector landlords
- More Frequently Asked Questions on Section 20 Consultation
- Application Form - Application for the Dispensation of All or Any of the Consultation Requirements Provided for by Section 20 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985
Still not found the answer?
Contact LEASE to have your enquiry dealt with by one of our experienced advisers